What document’s do I bring to my tax preparer?
- Bank account number and routing number, if you are opting for depositing your tax refund directly into your bank account.
- Date of Birth for yourself, spouse and dependents.
- Full Names and Social Security Numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any children / dependents that you have.
- Payments of Estimated Federal, State, local taxes paid or paycheck withholding amounts paid over the tax year being filed.
- Previous year’s tax returns for you and your spouse.
- W-2 forms for you and your spouse
- SSA-1099 for Social Security benefits received
- 1099-MISC Income: independent contractor forms
- 1099-S form for income from sale of a property
- 1099-C forms for cancellation of debt
- 1099-R, Form 8606 for distributions from IRAs or retirement plans
- 1099 – Interest and Dividend Income, Retirement, Annuities, tax refunds, Unemployment
- 1099-G unemployment income forms, or state / local tax refunds
- Alimony received
- Cost Basis of Securities Sold
- Cryptocurrency, collect a record of your every exchange and transaction.
- Miscellaneous income: jury duty, gambling winnings, Medical Savings Account, scholarships, etc.
- Prior year installment sale information – Forms 6252, principal and interest collected during the year, SSN and address for payer
- Rental property income and expenses: profit/loss statement, suspended loss information
Adjustments to your income
- Alimony paid
- Receipts for qualified energy-efficient home improvements (solar, windows, etc.)
- Records of IRA contributions made during the year
- Records of Medical Savings Account (MSA) contributions
- Self-employed health insurance payment records
- Form 1098-E for student loan interest paid (or loan statements for student loans)
- Form 1098-T for tuition paid (or receipts/canceled checks for tuition paid for post-high school)
Itemized Deductions (Schedule A)
- List of Charitable Contributions
- Medical Expenses, Health Care Insurance, Prescriptions, Doctors, Dentists, Eyeglasses, Long Term Health Care Insurance
- Real Estate Taxes and other taxes paid, PMI insurance, points,
- Form 1098 – Mortgage Interest Expense
Prior-year refund applied to current year and/or any amount paid with an extension to file.